Constructed between 1855 and 1862 and originally built as a Town Hall, Victoria Theatre is the older of the two buildings that make up this performing arts venue. The Town Hall was converted into a theatre in 1908 and was renamed Victoria Theatre.
Victoria Theatre is set in a black box, offering a seating capacity of 614 and the flexibility for the formation of an extended forestage or an orchestra pit when required. When the orchestra pit is in use, the seating capacity is 536. The Theatre is wheelchair accessible in the Stalls area.
The intimate space features a curved seating plan that “hugs” the stage, bringing the audience closer to performers. Cast iron components were taken from the old Theatre’s chairs and re-purposed into horizontal bands set across the timber walls to improve the acoustics of the space.
Adjacent to the Theatre is a suite, which can be used as a private hospitality suite or as an extension of the Theatre Main Foyer. Suitable for a maximum of 10 – 15 people, the Theatre Suite is linked to the Theatre via Door 3.
Occupying the almost 200-year-old building that was home to Singapore’s first parliament, The Arts House continues in the distinguished tradition of this gazetted national monument and now plays a key role in the country's arts and creative scene. The Arts House at the Old Parliament, as it is affectionately referred to, promotes and presents multidisciplinary programmes and festivals within its elegant spaces. It focuses in particular on the literary arts, celebrating the works of written and spoken word artists from Singapore and beyond.